From Zanna Mackenzie
Zanna Mackenzie lives in the UK on the Derbyshire/Leicestershire border with her husband, 4 dogs, a vegetable patch that’s home to far too many weeds and an ever expanding library of books waiting to be read.
Being a freelance writer and editor of business publications is her ‘day job’ but, at every opportunity, she can be found scribbling down notes on scenes for whatever novel she’s working on. She loves it when the characters in her novels take on minds of their own and start deviating from the original plot!
If You Only Knew is Zanna’s third novel; her previous books The Love Programme, and How Do You Spell Love? were both published in 2013.
Hi Zanna, please tell us Five Secrets we may not know about your latest novel If You Only Knew - or about you, but will after today!
1) My latest novel If You Only Knew was originally going to be called Do You Want The Truth Or Something Wonderful? I liked the quirkiness of the title and it fitted with the concept of the story but I decided it was too long to fit on the cover of the book!!!
2) I fell in love with the character of Zane – he was tricky to create but I really enjoyed writing some parts of the book from his point of view. He’s a tough guy in respects of his job and his hobbies but completely different when it comes to matters of the heart. His initial reluctance to get involved with Faith who runs the trendy coffee shop in the village in the book was due to his past and some serious relationship insecurities. Getting the balance between those two aspects of his personality was a challenge.
3) The book is set in the adventure sports mecca of Derbyshire’s Peak District National Park. Carelton, the village in the book, with its stone cottages cascading down the hillsides, the tourists, the climbers and mountain bikers was loosely inspired by the real life and very picturesque village of Castleton.
4) When I created the character of Matt I pictured him as looking like a rugged, mischievous version of Ryan Gosling! Matt is Zane’s business partner, they both run the Carrdale Extreme Sports Centre in the village. Matt is trouble with a capital ‘T’ – oh, and he also happens to be Faith’s first love which builds animosity between Matt and Zane.
5) And one ‘secret’ about me – I’m obsessed with the weather! I even have a mini weather station at home so I can, at a glance, tell you the temperature outside and the humidity – it’s currently 22.3 degrees centigrade and 24% humidity with heavy cloud!!!!
Faith owns The Coffee Pot in the outdoor adventure sports mecca of Derbyshire’s Peak District. She hasn’t had a man in her life for a while, as she’s been too busy serving cakes to weary rock climbers and mountain bikers to find time for the complications of a relationship with the male of the species.
At least, that’s what she tells herself. The truth is that since she got her heart broken she’s had problems trusting men.
When she meets Zane, one of the new owners at the Carrdale Extreme Sports Centre, Faith finds herself enjoying his company even though part of her can’t help wondering why he’s so reluctant to talk about himself.
Then the past comes back to haunt her in the shape of Zane’s business partner Matt, who just happens to be the guy who broke Faith’s heart all those years ago.
With Matt out to cause trouble and Zane keeping secrets Faith’s life is about to get very complicated indeed…
Social Media Links:
Find out more about Zanna at: