Friday, February 27, 2015

Last Friday of the Month Recipe and Treats For You From Author Janet Wellington


Janet is offering her book Sweet on You--A Second-Chances Spicy Romance for 99¢ through the end of March for my blog readers!!  Amazon  
And at the bottom of the post is another treat for you.


Hi Janet, tell us why you love making this recipe:

Thanks for having me on your blog L.A. Well, all’s fair in love and the pursuit of the perfect chocolate chip cookie...

Right from the pages of my latest ebook, SWEET ON YOU--A Second-Chances Spicy Romance, here is the recipe for the cookie the heroine makes (which has kind of a truth-serum effect on the hero in the story).

World Famous (Maybe Not) Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup or two sticks of softened butter
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts
2 cups peanut butter chips


Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Beat the butter and the sugar (brown and granulated) and the vanilla in a large mixer bowl. 

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each is added. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate and peanut butter chips and nuts.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets. 

Bake in 375º preheated oven for 9-11 minutes (Note: depends on how “hot” your oven is...I used 350º for 9 minutes with perfect results.).  Makes about 5 dozen or 60 cookies.

Truthfully, I’m better known for my pies (every Friday is Pie Day at my Facebook author page JanetWellingtonBooks), but I must confess I have a fondness for cookies, especially chocolate chip!  For one thing, there’s no pesky pie crust to fret over (I’ve finally settled on a lard/butter/iced Vodka crust recipe!).  And, typically cookie recipes are mostly measuring and mixing, right?  Easy Peasy!



As I was baking these cookies (so I would have a pretty photo to share), I couldn’t help thinking about some of the similarities between looking for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe and...well...the perfect mate!  In a romance novel (and in life), two people might not necessarily be looking for each other, but, especially as a reader, you know they are meant to be together, right?

It’s about the process...

One thing I love about reading a romance is that you experience each character’s journey.  You get to travel along with them and discover the wound that each needs to heal...the wound that is preventing them from being the person he or she needs to be in order to be open to the love the other has to offer.

I love watching (and writing about) characters overcoming obstacles and reaching that happily ever after.

It’s what keeps me writing love stories!

So, here are concepts that came to mind as I was thinking about the similarities between the pursuit of the perfect chocolate chip cookie and the pursuit of the perfect mate:
  • Try different recipes out until you find something really special.
  • Keep an eye on the clock--focus on the present.
  • There’s nothing wrong with striving for perfection.
  • Learn from other bakers.
  • Don’t be afraid to alter the recipe so it suits you.
  • Add new flavors to keep the recipe fun and tasty.
  • Appreciate your efforts but share the results.
So, there you have it...happy baking and happy searching!

Blurb:
Gabe Freeman never thought it was a good idea. When Celeste Parker’s Celestial Cookies was chosen to promote Valentine’s Day at the oldies radio station with deliveries of her gourmet cookies, the handsome deejay was dismayed to learn that…and what’s with those amazing cookies anyway…and why is their sugar and spice aroma affecting him like truth serum!?

And why on earth is Gabe fantasizing about Celeste, with her wild curls and multi-colored fingernails?  He’s supposed to be planning his June wedding to the boss’s suitable conservative daughter.  True, the marriage is more accurately a business merger, but that’s fine with sensible Gabe.  After all, he’s never believed in true love and romance…

Celeste meets Gabe on her fortieth birthday, of all days!  Sure, he’s cute, but he’s just another rat in the rat race and she’s had quite enough of that kind of man, thank you very much.  But, is he?  The man seems to be changing before her eyes, and why does he seem to be having fun spending time with her and riding around in her cookie mobile?

Maybe this buttoned up guy isn’t quite what he seems to be.  And maybe she’s ready to share some secrets of her own…if her heart is ready, that is…

Buy Links:

Bio:
I feel like I have been a writer all my life--as cliché as that sounds, even to me!--from childhood essays that ended up in the Sunday School bulletin, to long-ago burned journals (I hate that I did that!), to love-sick poems written on napkins while having a glass or three of wine, to newsletters and articles and press releases written on-the-job, and finally to happily-ever-after romances that I love love love writing!

As an award-winning author of four print-published novels via traditional publishers, I have now happily embraced the ebook revolution and am delighted to be on the indie path. I'm tellin' ya, the freedom is exhilarating!

So, what makes me different than the scads of other romance writers? I think my romances offer a little "something extra"—whether it's really interesting secondary characters with their own arching subplots, unique and detailed settings, or research that translates into unexpected facts sprinkled in. Whatever it is, my stories do seem to translate into something even first time romance readers enjoy! Nothing makes me happier than to hear from a reader or read a review by a reader who was surprised by how much the story touched her.

And, do realize that your reviews on Amazon are GOLDEN to indie authors, so do leave a sentence or two after you've read an ebook!

Social Media Links:


ALSO: Janet is going to be running a contest for newsletter subscribers--a Tarot card reading via telephone of “love/relationships". You can easily sign up for her newsletter on her website or on her Facebook author page.


2 comments:

  1. Waving hello to all of Leslie's readers--really looking forward to connecting with you on my Author Facebook page and my newsletter! :-) All best, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet, thank you for joining us today. I have no Internet, so will post more when I do. L a

    ReplyDelete